Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Plans and Themes for February

I know that I am horribly late in posting my February plans and themes, but honestly - the time is just galloping by and I feel like I am just hanging on to the reins for dear life LOL. I have managed to mark a few things off my list so far and of course, we have not missed all the celebrations yet. St. Valentines day is coming up on Friday and I have already added a few little touches around the house :o)

So without further ado, here are a few things that mark and define the month of February.


Folklaw

Gemstone: Amethyst
Flower: Primrose or violet
February takes it's name from the Latin februa, a feast of expiation and purification held at this time in ancient Rome. {Chambers Book of Days)
Full Snow Moon ~ 15 February 2014

Traditional Rhyme:
If Candlemas Day be dry and fair,
The half o' winter's to come and mair;
If Candlemas Day be wet and foul
The half' winter's gane at Yule.


Faith:: Celebrating the Liturgical Year

2nd - Candlemas - Purification of the Blessed Virgin and the Presentation of the Lord
14th - St Valentines Day

On This Day in History

6th - Queen Elizabeth II ascended to the throne in 1952
7th - Charles Dickens born in  1812 & Laura Ingalls Wilder born (1867)
11th - Sir Francis Drake became the first Englishman to sail the Pacific 1578
19th - The Women's Institute came into existence - this is quintessentially British!

Life in February 2014

Dad's birthday (2nd) - remember his life and light a candle
Granny and Wendy birthday (4th)
Winter Olympics start in Sochi (7th)
My 'baby' J-L's birthday - 14 years old! (21st)
Thinking Day (Scouts and Guides remember their founders) (22nd)
Anne's birthday (25th)

Nature

The shortest month of the year
Turbulent weather
Snowdrops
Hungry Birds - keep those feeders well stocked!
More sunlight
buds on shrubs, catkins out in milder weather
Frost and wintry showers
Bare branches
icy walkways and roads - be careful!
Primroses bloom beautifully
Full moon on the 15th



Garden and Home

Tidy up the garden shed
order seeds
sharpen garden tools, maintenance etc
Clean windows and let the sunshine sparkle through the clear glass
Bring in some Forsythia to force - lots of buds now!
Add some Valentine decor for fun
Spring Clean - put together a spring cleaning schedule and get a head start
Forward planning for next season ~ spring! Yipeee!!!
Party Planning for a 14th birthday party!


Homeschooling

Submit applications for IGCES exams in May
Half-Term break 17 - 21 Feb
Go over lesson plans for the next school term
Refresh 'Morning Basket' schedule for next half term
Start putting together a spring book list


Art's and Crafts

* Bake some red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese icing
*Mix up some homemade Eco-friendly cleaners for Spring Cleaning

So there we have it. A bit of a brainstorming session for February. 

Do you remember the tour I took you on through my Filofax? Well, I have put these plans, into the 'Planning' section. Exactly what you see here but just copied down onto the personal size format. This way I can keep referring back to my brainstorming session for the month and be inspired to live February with purpose and to the full. Any further note-making on these plans can be done on the ample blank paper I have in the 'Notes' section which is then popped into the relevant week of my diary section. So far I am loving how my Filofax is keeping me on track with everything :o)

Have a fabulous Wednesday :o)


Please do consider subscribing to Under An English Sky. I'd love to have you along for the journey.

Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate each and every one left for me.