Friday, October 04, 2013

Themes and Plans for October


October - this is when I think the season of autumn is best appreciated! Deciduous tress are ablaze and leaves are gently falling to the ground. Thoughts of winter are still a month away and there is so much to celebrate! Last year, our October had some pretty amazing days! So although today the winds are blowing and the sky is heavy with grey clouds, threatening rain, I am hopeful of a few more gentle warm days before winter sets in!

With so much going on and so many reasons to mark this month in some special way, I always like to put a few plans to paper and make sure that my various print-outs, recipes etc are in their appropriate weekly folder so that these little celebrations are not forgotten. Here are some of my plans for this lovely breezy colourful month.


Folk law
Traditional Rhyme: Rain in October means wind in December
Gemstone: Opal or tourmaline
Flower: Marigold/Calendula
Full Moon: Hunters Moon (18th)

Nature
Apple picking!
Autumn mists
Cooler Temperatures
Windy weather
First Frosts
Fly Agaric (those cute little red and white mushrooms) and other Fungi flourishing
Shrubs and Trees heavy with autumn berries
Butterfly numbers declining
Sloes ripening


Garden
Rake up leaves
Create insect hotels and hedgehog hideouts
Empty out last of the flowering annuals
Dig over beds
Harvest pumpkins
Wrap up and cover up frost sensitive plants

Home
Canning and preserving the last of the harvest (loads of tomatoes in our case)
Stock up on a few more blankets and hot water bottles
Pantry list – stock up on winter staples
Winter PJ’s for all and warm jumpers/jersey’s
British Summer Times Ends – put clocks back 1 hour on Sat 26th


Food
Pumpkin – soup, baking, endless options as per Pinterest Board
Apples – ditto

Faith
St Francis of Assisi – 4th
Old Michaelmas Day – 10th
St Luke – 18th



Life:
Apple Day Celebrations this month
Our Churches Harvest Fest – 6th

Sir Walter Raleigh Beheaded – 29th – Great learning opportunity

Arts & Crafts


I have loads of recipe ideas for pumpkins and apples and am eager to try them out - you can check them out on my Pinterest Board.


And so concludes my plans :o)
Have a super week-end and I will see you back here soon.

Linking Up With:

Wise-Woman-Builds


2 comments:

  1. What a delightful blog! I am glad I found you through the DEEP ROOTS AT HOME link up :) I look forward to reading more… Have a lovely day, JES :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jes - your kind comment has made my day lovely? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate each and every one left for me.