Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Nature Notes

I'm enjoying these last late days of summer and our last (less than) two weeks in Devon. I can feel that undefinable shift that marks the end of summer and the transition into autumn is imminent. At any moment that shift will happen, it will be felt, sensed, and a new season shall be ushered in. So this week we have been resting in those last hazy lazy summer days that seem to be trying to hold on a little longer before surrendering to a new season.

This week I was reading Job 38 - and was struck by God's descriptive language, indeed... poetry, when drawing to Job's attention the mysteries of Himself.


A few of the poetic lines jumped out at me:

"...and who laid its cornerstone as the morning stars sang together and the angels shouted for joy?" v 6-7

Referring to the oceans, "I said, 'This far and no farther will you come. Here your proud waves must stop!'" v 11

"Can you direct the sequence of the seasons or guide the Bear with her cubs across the heavens?" v32

Aren't those lines just wonderful? The entire chapter gives the reader pause for thought. So it is with these verses of scripture in mind that I look forward to the Lord directing in the new season with a little more appreciation than usual.


I am finding such joy in what makes up the last days of summer. All around my home the farmer has been busy harvesting and baling. It is one of those simple joys that I treasure in my heart to see bright blue skies watching over freshly harvested fields of gold. As I drive down the country lanes I am so tempted to stop and just drink in the scenery. However, country lanes are not easy to just stop your car in. They are far too narrow. 


Fortunately, I can see the field above from my conservatory. On this particular day, I noticed someone walking the fields with a metal detector. I wonder what it was he was looking for? 


It was soothing to stand quietly watching his afternoons work from a distance. Perhaps it's these simple country scenes that I will pop into my nature journal in the next few weeks.


My neighbour has a Buddleia bush whose branches happily stray over my wall and for that, I am very grateful because this plant attracts butterflies of all kinds. In fact, the Buddleia's common name is the Butterfly Bush for this reason. The bumblebees quite like it too and it is a pleasure to take a few minutes out of each day to stand quietly watching the butterflies and bees gently move from flower to flower.


Now I know that snails are not on everyone's 'favourite creature' list, but I do find them fascinating to watch. Those little stalky eyes...so funny. I think this snail chose a lovely place to feast, don't you? 


This past week we seem to have had a misty start to most mornings, a bit early for autumn mists perhaps but I am reminded of the beauty of the season to come. When I take my early morning walk around the garden I am quite taken with the beauty of the spider's webs all strung with little water drops and looking like precious jewels. Such delicate beauty.


For the past 2 or 3 weeks, I have noticed that the blackberries are ripening and the brambles seem to have a bumper crop to offer us hedgerow gleaners. I think I am going to fit in a quick jam making session before the removal company comes in to pack us up next week. It is a tradition in my home to make my 'Hedgerow Apple Bramble' jam each season so it would be a shame not to do so this year. 

All these photographs represent little moments in my week that I have taken out to just quietly be and observe. Each moment has brought peace and calm into my day. By penning down this post I am able to relive those moments and as I type I am reminded that although we are about to hit a busy and unsettled few weeks, I can always step away for a few moments and connect with the slow, calm pace that nature sets. May you find those moments too.

Blessings to you all.

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate each and every one left for me.