Monday, February 20, 2023

Weekending

 It happens every year! February arrives and by the time we are mid-way through I feel like I should be planting, digging and getting garden ready.

However, there is still along way to go before any baby plants can be safely planted outside. In the UK we are more likely to get snow at Easter than we are at Christmas!


After church this morning we decided to go to our local garden center to pick up some seeds to satisfy my itching green fingers and indulge in a cup of coffee and a scone. Visiting the garden center is one of our favourite things to do - it's just such a happy place, filled with plants and inspiration for the garden.  We love it!

This summer I want my garden to have swathes of colour so I picked up some Cosmos, Sweet Pea, and Sunflower seeds. Last summer I harvested Foxglove, Columbine and Hollyhock seeds so I think there is a nice selection of flowering plants that we can put into the garden this year.
I also grabbed some long-stemmed broccoli, Sugar Snap Peas, Lettuce and two varieties of tomotoe seeds. 
I picked up a few tomato growing tips last year so I will certainly be putting that advice into action this year in the hopes of having a bumper crop!

Spring Seeds in propogator on kitchen windowsill

It was good to spend a bit of time outdoors with my hands in the soil once again. I've got the beginnings of a windowsill garden going and I can't wait to see little green shoots sprout up in the next week or so - one week closer to spring!


Some other super simple weekending activities we have enjoyed was a visit to Chester Cathedral to see the Gaia art installation by Luke Jerram. Gaia is a replication of earth using detailed NASA imagery of the earths surface. It was really beautiful and I'm so pleased we got to see it in such a beautiful setting.

I know I'm working backwards here. I began this post with todays gardening adventures then went back in time to yesterday and the Gaia visit and now I'm going to go further back to Friday. Clearly my brain is having a backwards day today!

So...Friday... I work a half-day on Friday and this week has been a bit of a funny kind of week. A bit stressful, a bit restless, you know the sort. So when I got home and found my husband feeling the same way we decided to take a drive out to one of our local golf courses so that he could hit a bucket of balls on the driving range.


I don't play but I'm happy to wrap up warmly, take my knitting and a cup of coffee and enjoy the lovely view across the driving range and watching my husband practice his swing. It was a great way to kick off the weekend and we both felt so much better for having been outdoors and getting some fresh air!

Anyhoo lovelies, I hope that you have all had a lovely weekend too and that you are ready for the new and exciting week. I'm sure that you are aware that this week marks the beginning of Lent. Tuesday is Shrove Tuesday, aka Pancake Day so I hope you have all your pancake ingrediants ready to go. We happen to have a birthday in our family on Shrove Tuesday so we will probably do pancakes for breakfast rather than supper.

Have a blessed start to your week and I look forward to seeing you back here a bit later on in the week - I have some exciting crafty bits to share with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate each and every one left for me.