Wednesday, May 12, 2021

The Heart of a Homespun Home

Hello, my sweet friends! It's so nice to be back here chatting with you and sharing thoughts and dreams of hearth and home.

I had the loveliest visit with my dear friend a few weeks ago. We share the same heart for the Lord, our families, and our homes. 

She's incredibly talented in all areas, home-keeping, baking, cooking, creating the most beautiful homespun gifts, and needlework art. Every time we are together I come away feeling that I can truly fulfill my homespun business dreams. 

I have missed her company over the various lockdowns and I'm so glad that things are slowly lifting and that I will be able to see her more often.  There is something quite lovely about having kindred spirits in your life don't you think?



Well, our conversations got me thinking...what is it that makes me happy? What is it that I want to do most? We often speak of our dreams and of what is most important to our hearts and I realized that what I'm doing now is the polar opposite of what makes me happy and content and with all the recent upheaval and loss in our lives it kind of brings what matters into sharp focus.


I have just two more assignments to hand in on my law degree and then I am done for the year. Of course, all I want to do is spend my free time dying yarn and working on Under An English Sky Yarns. 

So for the next two weeks, I have set aside all my free time to get the assignments done and handed in - then I can concentrate on what truly matters to me.

I am managing to do little things though which are equally as important as working on fresh colourways. I've got new dyes to order, I'm planning out future podcasts, I need to order more yarn and I'm working on some wonderful box projects with a few talented creators, so keep an eye out for that. 


I will of course announce all these changes right here, on my IG account, in my podcast, and in my FB group which I am busy sorting out at the moment. There will be lots of exciting giveaways as part of a re-launch. But again...I'm getting ahead of myself!


As you can see I have been updating the look of my photographs on my Etsy shop. I think this aesthetic fits in with what my yarn (and me of course) is all about.


My inspiration has always been firmly rooted in the natural world which has come about from our years of nature study and nature journaling and a deep desire to live a simple and creative, uncluttered life as well as the great literary works and historical culture & heritage of the UK.

Honestly, I'm someone who would be quite content to live out in the countryside, spinning & dyeing my own yarn, growing my own food, making my own soap, stitching, sewing, and doing things in a slow and measured way. This brings me back to thoughts of hearth and home and doing what makes you happy.

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: you should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependant on anybody" ~ 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12


I remember the impact this verse had on my heart the first time I read it. It sank deep into my heart and resonated (and still does) with my soul. I know that fellow homebodies will feel the same. Right now it's all the encouragement and motivation I need to get through the next two weeks before I am free to put the beat back into the heart of my homespun home! 

Now speaking of homespun has anyone started thinking about what gifts they will be making this year for Christmas? I know it's still early on in the year but can you ever start making gifts too early? I quite like the idea of having a basket of handmade gifts at the ready anyway. I personally love handmade gifts because of the time and thought that went into it - don't you?

My daughter is exactly the same, she loves to support independent makers. This year all her friends bought her birthday gifts from independents on Etsy. I don't know which she was more impressed with, the gifts or the fact that her friends had taken her love of supporting independent makers into account. It definitely got me thinking though and I have decided that this year I'm either going to make or buy my gifts from fellow Etsy shop owners because every time you make a purchase from a homespun kitchen table business you are supporting someone's dream to live a quiet life. What are your thoughts?



1 comment:

  1. such pretty yarns! I am working on Christmas stockings for my son and his wife for gifts but that is all that I've planned so far.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate each and every one left for me.