Saturday, August 17, 2019

Living the Seasons :: Blackberry Picking

August is the month when blackberries start coming into their own. This year seems to be a bumper year for blackberries, they are all so big and juicy although this early harvest is a little bitter. I think a few more weeks of sunshine should strengthen the sugar content.


There are still many, many berries on our brambles so I am looking forward to blackberries well into September. Of course, I'm sure you know the old folklore myth that blackberries become unpalatable after the 29th September which is St Michael's Day and that is because the devil was cast out of heaven by St Michael, he landed on a bramble bush and cursed it. Hence after St Michael's Day blackberries should not be picked.


This year I have many ideas for these little jewels. I have used this first little harvest to make my Apple Bramble jam. But here are some of the recipes I've found on Pinterest that I simply have to try this season.




I plan on stocking up the freezer with all these goodies so we can enjoy them through winter.


As you can see from the picture above, it's not only us who will be enjoying this late-summer early-autumn hedgerow fruit. The insects simply love them. This wasp was buried head deep feasting on this, particularly ripe berry. I spent ages watching him...so sweet.


I thought I'd share this little photo of my entry hall (I just love how the light is streaming in). I still have a few homeschooling books up on the unit, I haven't had the courage to pack them away yet. That would seem so final. My homeschooling planner is still on my desk along with my other planners. There will have to be a weekend soon when I tackle all of that and decide what to keep and what to get rid of. Changing seasons can be bittersweet, can't they?

Right now autumn is right around the corner. I'm so looking forward to autumns arrival and all that it holds but it is kind of sad that that means saying goodbye to summer and the long warm days. Its the same with life seasons. I am definitely learning to look forward with anticipation and back occasionally with warm fondness and blessed memories but not to keep looking back!

My new season is actually quite exciting. As you know I am a magistrate judge (Justice of the Peace) and enjoy sitting on the bench every few weeks. On Friday I was in court and boy was it a busy day. We get the usual cases through of 'repeat clients', those that seem unable to rehabilitate and keep offending. 

But then we have those ordinary, everyday citizens like you and me who find themselves on the wrong side of the law through one single bad decision and are clearly remorseful. We had a few of those on Friday. A couple of them were in a state and I realised that I am meeting these people under what could be arguably one of the most stressful events of their lives. 

I wondered how God would use me when I was applying for this position last year. Now I think I know. To show kindness, empathy and respect from the bench whilst still remaining true to my role in upholding the law has to be worth something.

It gives me something to think about as I ponder on what area of law I wish to practise in once I am qualified. That, however, is a season for the future. 

Right my lovelies, I hope you are having a lovely weekend and I look forward to seeing you back here for a little more chit-chat next week.


Let's Connect on Social Media!

Facebook
Instagram
Pinterest
Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate each and every one left for me.