Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Autumn House Tour

I have kept our autumnal decorating simple this year. It's just what I felt I could manage, little touches using some of my favourite decorations, most of them handcrafted by me others picked up over the years. The reason why I add seasonal touches throughout my home is that it really is a celebration of the season. Each season is beautiful in its own right and I do like to pause throughout each day to appreciate little moments that could so easily be missed.

Watching the sunlight pool on the carpet, or gazing over the fields early in the morning that are cloaked in autumn mists, or perhaps watching a bumble bee visiting white clover in the grass and the butterflies flocking on buddleia flower spikes. So many little beautiful moments.


I've kept my front entrance simple with this stunning autumnal wreath I picked up at T Maxx about 4 years ago and my must-have autumn 'mums' and pumpkins.


Of all the different colours of mums, this russet colour is my favourite. Each year I think that I must perhaps pick a different colour but then I stand in front of the array of choice and I just cannot resist the russet ones. Perhaps next year I'll get two or three different colours and create a whole display on my front porch. 


Stepping through the front door you enter a large entrance hall off of which we have a guest WC, the passage leading down to the bedrooms on the right. The kitchen to the left and straight ahead we have the living room.


I have hung strings of autumn flower fairy bunting I made a good 5 or 6 years ago and to the left of the door pictured above, I have my welsh dresser. On the shelves, I have little autumnal touches, a garland of knitted acorns I made, a few cross-stitched smalls, and of course lots of tea lights.



Coming through into the living room, the mantle is all decked out with a display of cross-stitched pillows, hand knitted pumpkins and apples and a sewn corn on the cob, and another string of autumnal bunting I made a while back.



I haven't made any new autumn decorations this year which is a bit disappointing but I suppose understandable given that we were pre-occupied with our house move. 


Of course, there are candles everywhere because well...I like candles to brighten up these shortening days. Most of them are pumpkin spice scented so the house smells amazing this time of year.


I bring in branches of berries and grasses gathered on our walks. They usually find a spot on the mantle or on the Welsh Dresser. I like bringing nature indoors, its free and nothing can compare to its beauty.


 On the little coffee table in the middle of the room is a little display that I change up through the seasons.


Right now we have some pine cones, a little autumn stitchery, some autumn leaves and a gorgeous set of autumn leaf coasters gifted to me by a very dear friend.


So that's it for this year's autumn decor. I really wanted to do more but just could not do it with everything else that has been going on. We've been in our new home for just over 3 weeks now and I am finally beginning to find time to sit down and indulge in a bit of stitching and knitting. Today I even managed to dye some yarn for my Etsy shop! So I feel like I'm making headway. 

Brrrr! The temperature is beginning to drop. It's late afternoon and soon my evening chores of making dinner etc will need to be done. I think I'll quickly light a fire before I do that - it will chase the chill away. Until my next post, keep warm and take time to enjoy the small moments and happenings in your day.

Blessings to you all...

Follow

8 comments:

  1. you have such stunning views out those windows! What a lovely home and I like how you decorated for the autumn season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. I must say I love to look out over the countryside for miles and we are fortunate to be able to do that in this home. It brings a certain peace to the soul :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I am so going to miss our log burner this year, but who knows maybe next year we will have one installed :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping that you get your log burner before the next winter Sandra Ann :)

      Delete
  3. I love this time of year. May I ask where did you get the cross-stitch pattern for the little pillow that states Psalm 85:2?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, I've left a link to the pattern on your blog. Let me know if you have trouble locating it. You can access my embroidery Pinterest board here if need be: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/shirleyannv/embroidery-and-cross-stitch/

      Happy stitching :)

      Delete
  4. Hello ! It's really very pretty and it's really not important to take the decorations of another year, I do it too :-)
    What's important is the love you put in every thing you do to make your home welcoming to the people you love!
    Be blessed!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Shirley. I am now following you on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate each and every one left for me.