Thursday, August 24, 2017

Being Intentional with God


I have a confession to make. I have not been as intentional with God over the past two years as I should. For various reasons, circumstances have led me out into that spiritual desert that I believe all Christians will visit at least once in their spiritual walk. My excursion to the desert has been prolonged it seems through my own bad attitudes towards trusting God with various things I have struggled with since our move to Devon.

Trust. Why do I have such an issue with trust? It's so easy to say, 'I trust you, Lord'. I'm reminded of the lyrics of Matt Redman's song "Blessed Be the Name of the Lord"...


Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful 
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name
Blessed Be Your Name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your Name

Trusting God when we are in times of abundance and peace is easy, it's when we are in the desert places that we need to CHOOSE to say, 'Blessed be your name'. Not so easy to always do. 

While scrolling through my Pinterest feed (I LUUURVVV Pinterest) I came across a pin on how to make a prayer notebook. Now being a planning type person I don't need to read about how to do this but the article's title peaked my interest so I clicked over to the blog - Intentional By Grace - to see what she had to say. After all, what could it hurt, I was feeling the need to get back to being intentional with God and being a practical girl this looked like something that might be helpful.

What really touched my heart was the link in this post to her sharing about her prayer life being in a mess. While I'm not in the midst of toddlers anymore, I felt that my own prayer life was a little disconnected and that my own life was feeling chaotic because, well... life seems to be moving at break-neck speeds, hardly enough time to gather one's thoughts. I might not have toddlers but I do have teens who have their own equally demanding needs.

If you are struggling with being intentional with God, please do go and read Leigh Ann's post, 'My Prayer Life is a Mess', it's so encouraging!



Anyhoo, I actually did decide to put together my own prayer notebook to help me be more intentional in spending time in prayer and in the Word. While I still don't manage to do my quiet time every day, I am being more intentional and actually spending more time in prayer and in God's Word which is what I so desired to do. Here's a little peek into my prayer journal.

I used Moms Toolbelt's Bible journal note booking pages for the divider covers. 



The sections I created which are relevant to how I want to use this notebook are:

Personal Journal
Bible Study
Quiet Time
Prayer
Memorising Scripture
Affirmation
Resources
Gratitude

Personal Journal: - I put some blank lined note booking pages behind this divider so that I can write down any thoughts here. I find that journaling is a great way for me to make sense of my thoughts and clear my mind. 

Bible Study: - I'm using the Good Morning Girls 'Job' Study right now so I printed off the studies reading plan, the books overview, and the study questions. I also placed sheets of lined notebook paper so that I could use the S.O.A.K method whilst studying this book. You can find out what the S.O.A.K method is on the sidebar of the 'Women Living Well' website.

Quiet Time: - I have various short Quiet Time resources that I use - not all at the same time. Sometimes I like to jot down something that stood out in that time so I have lined notebook paper behind this divider.

Prayer:- I have printed off a copy of 'A Mothers Prayer', 'The Homemakers Prayer', and '31 Biblical Virtues to Pray for Your Children'. I like to have these prayers to remember, I'm sure I will add more as I find them. I have also placed some Mom's Toolbelt note booking pages in this section so that I can keep a prayer list of people and things I want to pray for as well as record any answers to prayer.

Scripture Memorisation: - I have some Mom's Toolbelt Scripture memorisation note booking pages in this section. "I have hidden your Word in my heart so that I might not sin against You." - Psalm 119:11

Affirmation: - This is where you note down confirmations and affirmations that you might receive during your quiet times, Bible Studies, you receive in prayer or someone shares with you. I don't want to forget them. For example, the affirmation I received through a conversation I had with a friend with regards to homeschooling through A levels. I shared my story in my 'Homeschooling Thoughts' post earlier this week.

Resources: - I have a few sheets of paper in this section that I can note down recommended books, podcasts or Youtube videos that I want to watch, listen to or read. My sister has given me a list of books and videos that she has found beneficial to her spiritual growth so I want to get some of those. 

Gratitude: - A few sheets of paper in this section to record all those 'small things' that God sends my way to appreciate and that makes my heart sing. Cultivating a grateful heart is something we should all strive to do. It brings peace to our spirits and makes us aware of all our many blessings.

Moms Household Planner

3 comments:

  1. The notebook is a great idea - thank you for sharing that! Praying for you today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A welcome post! I have a notebook that is just perfect for this and really need to get to it. My last prayer journal is very out of date. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great way to record your thoughts, I am going to pop over to the post that inspired you now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate each and every one left for me.