Thursday, March 03, 2016

Crock-pot Chronicles :: Beef Stroganoff



This has to be our all time favorite Crock-pot meal. When I am asked the usually daily question, 'Whats for supper mum?' and reply, 'Crock-pot Beef Stroganoff'. My answer is always met with an enthusiastic response.

Here's what you will need:

Ingredients

1 3/4 lbs boneless beef strips (I just use one package from Tesco)
1 Tbls Canola Oil
1/2 cup red wine OR beef broth
2 Tbls All-purpose flour
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika (I used smoked paprika)
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried basil
1  can cream of mushroom soup
1 packet beef stroganoff mix (originally the recipe called for a packet of onion/mushroom soup mix but we can't get that in the UK)
125 g mushrooms - sliced
1/2 cup sour cream

Cooked pasta for the number people in your family (I use Tagliatelle but you could use egg noodles or any pasta you have in the grocery cupboard)

Method:

1. Brown the beef in oil over a medium-high heat for around 8 minutes. Add the wine or broth to the pan, stirring to loosen bits from the bottom of the pan.

2. Combine the flour and seasonings in the bottom of your crock-pot.

3. Place the browned beef strips and mixture from the pan on top the flour mix and toss until well coated

4. Add the mushroom soup, the stroganoff mix and stir until blended.

5. Add the mushrooms. Cover and cook on a high setting for 3 to 31/2 hours or on a low setting for 6 hours until the beef is tender.

5. Stir in the sour cream, cover and cook until thoroughly heated. Serve over noodles/pasta.



Now as you know from experience, the more you cook something the braver and more experimental you become. Here are my own personal top tips for this dish...

* Remember to always keep an eye on the cooking process towards the end of the time. I find that often, I need to add more liquid or give it a stir to prevent sticking and burning.

* I always add lots of vegetables to my dishes. So at the point when I am adding the mushrooms I will add baby corn, carrots and some peas perhaps. This way we get all the nutrients we need in one meal - the more colour you have on your plate the healthier the dish.

* I'm never to fussed about following the 'prescribed' recipe to a T. If I don't have a certain pasta and only have lets say macaroni or rice - then that is what I will use. I won't go out specially and buy it. Use what you have - it's frugal :)

* Don't leave out the sour cream - it really adds that extra something that the dish needs. I left it out once as I had forgotten to buy it and although it was still tasty is was not as good as it is when the sour cream has been added.

Enjoy :)

4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I've added this to my recipe list - thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had stroganoff for a long long time, looks like a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this sounds wonderful, Shirley! Our oldest is home for spring break starting this weekend and I will definitely be making this for Sunday dinner! Thank you for sharing! :) ~ Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family loved this, thank you! I used a package of dried wild mushroom soup to season and served over mashed potatoes and with homegrown frozen runner beans. Clean plates all round😀

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate each and every one left for me.