Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Fabric and Yarn...


Joining Ginny today for Yarn Along and Frontier Dreams


I'm having a bit of a frustrating time with the knitting project I have on the go at the moment. I shared last week that I had cast on the Cable Rouge beret pattern. Well, I have had to FROG it twice already! I just don't seem to end up with the same amount of stitches that they say I should have after an increase round. I have decided to ditch Cable Rouge and have switched to another pattern. 

I have taken up a little 'hooky' therapy to calm my knitting nerves lol. I am hooking a few of Lucy's (from Attic 24) Granny Bunting triangles for a new string of summer bunting. This is a very straight-forward pattern from Lucy. They are quick to crochet and you can be as creative as you like with the colourways.

On the subject of 'bunting'. I was appointed 'official bunting maker' by our churches fete planning team - well, I volunteered ;o). This years annual fete is WW1 themed so we need lots of bunting to decorate - all in British colours of course. 


So far I have made 2 strings of bunting, each 5m in length.


I think I may be hooked on making bunting. I have always been a huge bunting fan and have quite a few strings of it around the house and of course it is always brought out for celebrations! 


But seeing it strung outside has inspired me to make a few more lines of bunting for summer - so that I can string it outside and enjoy the fluttering, cheerful triangles all summer long.

Reading: I am still busy with my 'Cornish Coast Murder' (British Library Crime Classic). There's a great little blurb about this book here, but basically, the book is about a vicar (a mystery loving one at that) who sets out to solve the murder of a rather ill-tempered magistrate from his village. The local police inspector is baffled by the absence of clues, but our vicar seems to have a keen sense of understanding and insight into mystery solving :o)

I also have few baking books out from the library. The one that interests me most is titled, 'Great British Bakes' by Mary-Anne Boremans. The byline reveals why it has me so interested, it reads, 'Forgotten treasures for modern bakers.' Yes, recipes from Britons past, some hundreds of years old now modernised to current available ingredients and methods.

Our weather continues to be absolutely beautiful. The garden is flourishing and England is just an absolute treasure of beauty at the moment. But all that will have to wait for another post ;o)

Happy Wednesday to you all.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your lovely posts on the Art of Home-Making Mondays. I *love* your bunting! And thank you for adding our button Shirley :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why you are the "official bunting maker"--you do beautiful work. Your buntings are fabulous! I can't wait to see the crocheted summer bunting you are working on. It was smart to switch knitting patterns; it's no fun to be constantly frustrated by a project. That cake book looks very interesting.

    Enjoy these glorious late spring days! .♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great bunting, very fitting for a church fete. Looking forward to see how the crochet bunting turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the bunting! I would be frustrated as well about the knit. It might very well be the pattern, however my current shawl knit was not starting out right and I had to do it three times.....sadly it was 100%user error :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buntings are so popular right now! I hoped to crochet one for Memorial Day, but I just don't think I'm going to get to it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your bunting. I never thought to make my own. You have given me inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love bunting too!!! Maybe I should make some of Lucy's granny square bunting. It is really lovely! Wish I could attend your church fete! I'm sure I would love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate each and every one left for me.