Saturday, January 07, 2012

January Nature Calander


There are a couple of things that are on my January Nature Calendar that I thought might be nice to share. This is an 'in-my-head, couple-of-notes-in-my-diary' type calendar. I did try to create a fancy dedicated calendar to not these things down, but really felt like I was re-inventing the wheel what with Barb's great monthly study grid that comes out with her monthly newsletter. So I thought that I would note down some of what is floating about in my head, even if it is just so that I can get it pinned down! Yip, once it is down on paper so to speak - it feels a bit more concrete for me.

One of the activities that we are looking forward to this month is the RSPB's Big Garden Bird Watch. The idea is on the 28 or 29th of January (you choose) you spend one hour watching the birds which land in your garden, marking them off of the record sheet (which is so pretty). You can download the record sheet on the website. You then submit your results online. This helps the RSPB create a 'snapshot' of what birds are in each region. (I should mention that this is a British survey but I believe Barb over hat the Handbook of Nature Study participates in something similar in the States.)

Another activity on my 'To Do' list is to utilise some of the great (free) resources from Nature Detectives. There are numerous free winter related downloads. Free booklets, hunt sheets, games, craft activities, recipes and the list goes on! I'm keen to have some fun with finding tree faces, go on a fungi hunt as we have already seen some wonderful specimens and would like to find out what they are, look at some winter twigs and perhaps have a little fun with ice.


And lastly (maybe - I might find something else that looks to good to resist) on Monday the 9th, it is full moon. According to the Farmers Almanac, January's moon is the Woolf Moon. Pop over to the Almanac to find out why it is so named! We will note this in our nature journals ;o)

So, a little peek into what I hope to do with the girls this month. Looks like fun doesn't it? Hope that you find some great ways to enjoy nature during this cold month.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, thanks for the links. We always keep an eye out for full moons. My kids love watching them. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate each and every one left for me.