Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Yarn Along - 21 September

HAPPY AUTUMN EQUINOX ;O)

Are you enjoying the start of this lovely season? I sure am. I have been totally inspired by the colors that are showing themselves around me. In Scotland I was inspired by the greens and purples of the Highlands. Closer to home I am inspired by russet colors of the leaves and apple laden trees.

With the onset of cooler weather, my knitting needles have been flying! Each day I look forward to the afternoons, after the children's lessons are done, so that I can sit and pick up my needles again. As a result, I have had two finishes this week plus a productive start on a new project. Let me share...
Joining Ginny at Small Things for today's Yarn Along

I have a friend in South Africa who is due to have baby number 3 in January. A friend of hers sent out the call for us to design and knit squares for a surprise baby blanket. I was quite excited about this as it was my first attempt at charting a design. After a few false starts and a bit of jiggling to get the design centered we had victory!


Last week I shared my prayer shawl that I was knitting for my Step-mother. I really found it hard to put down. The lace was really simple and I just loved watching it grow. I had finished it in no time, got it blocked, had a quick modeling session with my youngest daughter and then popped it in the post. I am hoping that it will arrive in South Africa later this week ;o)

Now for the current project, inspired by a visit through Yarn Along -*sigh* I am always so inspired when I visit all your lovely blogs!

I spotted this really easy tutorial for knitted - and felted- Norwegian slippers over at Moonbeams and Applesauce. So, loosing no time I orderd some wool - which arrived the very next day (always so efficient!) and started knitting. Here was so far - pre-felting

The book that I am reading at the moment is the last (so far) in a series written by Jack Sheffield. Jack Sheffield was Headteacher at a small Yorkshire. His books are a wonderful, often humorous account of his time there. I feel quite sad that this is the last book ;o) but always find great suggestions through this wonderful link up! Thank you Ginny.

Happy knitting all.

7 comments:

  1. The prayer shawl looks beautiful, I'm sure it will mean so much to your step-mum. Those slippers look interesting - can't wait to see them felted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shawl is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shawl is just beautiful all that work and prayers, what a treasured gift.

    The surprise baby blanket will also be a treasured gift and I love the felted slippers. Where do you buy your wool?

    Autumn Blessings San xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The slippers look beautiful Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your shawl is just gorgeous, and what a pretty model your daughter makes. i love the pattern and the slipper pattern too! oh, and how darling that sailboat square is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the shawl Shirl...didn't realise we had used such similar colours xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your kind comments! I really do love hearing from you all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate each and every one left for me.