Wednesday, June 02, 2021

Yarn Stories - Perfect Day

Hello my lovely friends. Today my husband and I are taking a trip into the Welsh countryside. It's our first venture more than 10 miles away from our home since the start of this awful pandemic 15 months ago. Our last trip was to the beautiful Welsh seaside village of Conway. 

We are off to explore north wales and have booked a lovely country retreat near Anglesey. I am very excited because as you know I adore exploring the beautiful British countryside.

I thought a little series of posts with stories behind some of my favourite yarn colourways might be fun. I don't just dye up yarns for the sake of dying. I take inspiration for each skein...there is always a story behind what you see in my Etsy shop.

I have a new yarn colourway in my Etsy Shop called 'Perfect Day' and I thought you may like to hear the story for the inspiration of this yarn. But first I really need you to step into my part of the world...take a minute or two to watch one of my favourite little clips...



I am always amazed at the beauty of my beautiful England. The countryside, heritage, tradition, and culture are an endless source of inspiration for me in many areas of my life and it is a large part of the inspiration behind my yarn label.



From the stately homes and the lives that were lived out inside their walls, to country lanes speckled with foxgloves and cow parsley; the stone churches and age-old stories and folklore and traditions. It is all just dreamy!

I am always inspired to live a simple, beautiful life and I take much joy from the simple things in life such as the joy of lanes filled with cow parsley and foxgloves.

The little videos that I have shared with you in this post may reflect victorian life but the countryside remains much the same as what you see. Beatrix Potter's home is still the same as are the surrounding houses - we've visited Hilltop Farm a few times and I'm always amazed at how certain things in England remain unchanged. History is valued and preserved here so that you can absolutely escape into a different era when visiting some of the wonderful homes and places preserved by the National Trust and English Heritage. 

I can just picture Beatrix Potter gathering bouquets of wildflowers on her country walks just as I do today and then spending some time painting and recording her finds in her journals.



These days here in England, when the countryside is filled with an array of wildflowers; when the rain clears and leaves behind its watery sparkling day when you wander quietly through beautiful gardens established many many years ago by our Victorian forefathers...these are perfect days.

I wanted to capture these perfect moments, perhaps as if they themselves had been captured in watercolour, my favouite medium when painting and that of some of my favourite naturalists such as Beatrix Potter and Edith Holden. 


And here we have it..."Perfect Day". soft lilacs, greens with different shades of yellow. It's like a bouquet of freshly picked wildflowers from the ancient hedgerows.



Could you see yourself sitting quietly in a meadow in amongst the buttercups or cowslips just listing to the sounds of the countryside? Birds singing, insects buzzing, the sound of a cow in a distant meadow? Perhaps the sounds of happy children playing are caught on the wind and dance across the hedgerows and lanes before you hear it right to where you are sitting in the warmth of the sunshine. Doesn't that sound preferable to hustle and bustle of modern life? It certainly sounds like a little bit of bliss to me.

I'll finish this post with another of my favourite little video snippets. Wishing you all a perfect day!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate each and every one left for me.