Friday, June 15, 2018

Frugal Friday :: Practising Contentment



True godliness with contentment is itself great wealth. After all, we brought nothing with us when we came into the world, and we can't take anything with us when we leave it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. - 1 Timothy 6: 6-8

Def. Frugal ~ careful when using money or food. I take being frugal a step further, I think it's a mindset not only in being careful when using money or food but also in where and how we invest our time and efforts. I believe that the key to success in living a frugal life lies in our attitude and our attitude is influenced by what's in our heart, and what's in our heart is planted there by what we choose to treasure.

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. ~ Matt 6:21


It never ceases to amaze me how easy it is for weeds to grow in my garden. I don't have to do a single thing to encourage them. They lie dormant in the soil and suddenly, when conditions are just right, up they pop.

On the flip-side, there have been many times where I have lovingly planted up a tray of cut flower seeds, hoping that they will grow into healthy plants and fill my garden with colour all summer long only to be bitterly disappointed because they have failed to germinate,  grow on to be healthy plants or worse yet, become fodder for pesky slugs.



In the same way with very little effort, in fact sometimes with no discernible effort at all, the weeds of discontent can pop up and begin to choke out all our peace and contentment.

What Brings Discontent Into Our Lives?


So what is it that brings discontent into our lives? If I look at Matt 6:21, it says that 'where my treasure is, there my heart will be also'. What is it that you treasure? You can usually pick up what you treasure by looking at where it is you spend most of your time. I realise that there are a string of things that we can get wrapped up in but I want to touch on one or two things whose roots touch many of our lives.

Be Careful Little Eyes What You See :: Social Media


Personally, I have a love/hate relationship with social media. I get that it is a powerful marketing tool. I've used it with a certain degree of success to promote my yarns, without it, getting my product out there would have been difficult. But oh-my, as well as being a good servant it can be a bad master. Social media, in my humble opinion, has addictive qualities. It is so easy to start scrolling through your (IG/Pinterest/Youtube etc) feed and suddenly before you know it, an hour has gone by. Now lets ask some probing questions...

* what images fill your IG/Pinterest feed?
* Are they images that encourage you to want to buy things?
* Are they images that make your heart desire something other than what you have?
* Are they images that make you discontent with what you have?

These are good questions to consider. I believe that we can inadvertently allow bad seeds to take root in our hearts. Be careful what you allow your eyes to see. What can seem to be perfectly beautiful and harmless can be the very seeds of discontent.


 Be Careful Little Ears What You Hear :: Still the Voices


In the homeschooling world, I have found that who we decided to invest time listening to can have a profound impact in our own lives. I've written about this before HERE. Who we choose to listen to can influence our own choices and decisions, influence the mood and atmosphere of our own homes. That is a powerful thing! We can choose to invest in something that is beneficial and uplifting or we can walk away feeling burdened because we feel that we fall short of the ideal. Often when we tune out God and tune into listening to well-meaning advice we can exchange our light yokes for more burdensome ones

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light! ~ Matthew 11:28

* Is what I'm listening to Gods plan for me/my family/my home school/my finances etc or is it someone else's?
* What is God's definition of success vs the worlds definition of success?
* Is what I'm 'lending my ears to' burdening me and making me feel inadequate or is it something that equips me and benefits those around me?



Be Careful Little Hands What You Do :: Be Purposeful in your Daily Living


Have you noticed that when you don't have much to do you tend to gravitate to something that is not beneficial? If you have idle hands it's usually then that you browse the net and find something to buy, or you find yourself eating even though you are not hungry. Or perhaps you get involved in something such as an online game or listening to endless podcasts that take you away from those important things that need to be attended to in your home. At a homeschool conference I attended years ago, I remember a mum standing up and sharing that she had got so caught up to the point of addicted to a computer game that she found her home was no longer running smoothly, meals were late and her home always seemed to be in a disarray. She felt convicted at that point that she had allowed herself to be distracted from God's important work of caring for her family and home. We need to be aware that we are to be good stewards of not only our money and food etc, but also of our time and the activities we get involved in.

I remember a saying that Christian author, Elizabeth George shared in her book 'A Woman After God's Own Heart', "Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Until your good is better and your better best".


Guarding Against Discontent


A final thought on guarding against discontent. Stay rooted in God's Word. His ways are completely contrary to the worlds but His yoke is infinitely lighter. When your heart is fixed on him and the wisdom of his ways, you will find that battle with the flesh subsides somewhat to manageable. And as it becomes more manageable it becomes easier to say no. And is it becomes easier to say no you will find that your heart no longer treasures such things. Your heart treasures something much much dearer. Communion with Christ, family, home and simple pleasures that are free and usually come at the most unexpected moments. Like yesterday morning for example, I was eating breakfast in my conservatory and I watched a barn owl, in broad daylight!, flying and hovering about in the field in front of our home. It must have been hunting for food for it's babies but what a joy it was to watch it dance in the air with such grace. A simple pleasure that was completely free. Treasure those moments 😉

Please do leave a comment sharing your thoughts, I would love to hear what you have to say on this topic. Blessings to you all today...

5 comments:

  1. I balance my social media and consumption of internet and it's a challenge at times. I know I feel best when I am on the computer the least amount of time. I set a timer and then I go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea Karen. I think I might do the same. It's so easy to go down the rabbit hole which social media and the internet. Thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
  2. Dear Shirley Ann, you're so right! We must focus on the tasks that God has given us and do it as best we can.
    Some time ago I was also discouraged: a big son who does not want to talk about God, my relationship with him was closed. My work seemed heavy ... and I did exactly what you denounce: I let myself go to listen to videos on YouTube that did me no good (you know, the kind of video that tell you that you have to think of yourself, you and you always ... :-(!), I read books that made me look at my belly button and I began to think that I had the right to me to rest too ... and to waste my time on social networks, but fortunately Jesus is here and watching, he started to make me realize that I had to do my job and as best as I could! Great and very beautiful "Cultivate excellence to glorify the Lord!" and I posted it in my kitchen so that I see it all the time!
    Then he made me realize that I believed in lies told by Satan. And he showed me that I had to trust him and focus on the work he gave me every day and make me happy. And do it for him, as best as I can.
    I am now doing this. I still have some progress to make, but, as you say, little by little, contentment comes and blessings too. My son is better and our relationship is calm. And I bless the Lord for his grace!
    Thank you for your thoughts. I really like reading you!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, Thank you for sharing, I was so touched while reading your account of what you have been through. I want to tell you that it was an encouragement to read because it was real. We all have real struggles and hard things to deal with and when we share our hearts others are encouraged and we are encouraged as others come round and support us. I'm so glad that your son is better and your relationship is calm. It is so hard when your children make choices that you know are going to hurt and cause them difficulty. Praise the Lord that you heard His voice and are trusting Him in your journey. Blessings to you today.
      Shirley-Ann

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Shirley Ann !
      Blessing to you .
      Anne

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate each and every one left for me.