Friday, October 23, 2015

Garden Therapy

For the last three days I've been laid up with a nasty cold. Yesterday was the worst day, I just could not get out of bed. My head pounded, eyes watered uncontrollably and I was horribly congested - you know the story.


This morning I woke up feeling a little better and I was determined to get out of bed. I honestly wonder how much good staying in bed does sometimes, yesterday I felt lousy and continued to feel lousy. Today I felt a little better, so just off lousy, but decided to get up and get outside.

Well I have to tell you that after an hour of gentle weeding and pottering around my garden I felt ALOT better than I did yesterday. So getting outdoors and breathing in fresh crisp air is just the medicine for me :)

So, do you want to join me for a little stroll around my autumn garden?



The ornamental grapevine has turned various shades of red and orange and lost most of it's leaves within a week. As you can see we clearly have our weekend gardening chores cut out for us. There are plenty of leaves to be collected up and burned.


The Beech tree (did I tell you I have identified my tree? A friend emailed me to say she thought it was one, and then while I was planting crocus bulbs in the lawn this week I came across plenty of beech nuts confirming this identification), continues to yellow and peppering my lawn with it's falling leaves.


Even the bed in front of the summer house is filled up with leaves that have fallen from the apple tree and the ornamental grapevine. I've had to scoop the pond numerous times to keep it clear of leaves that will rot in the water and cause it to be uninhabitable for the little critters that live there.


My rose bushes are giving their final autumn flush of roses before winter arrives, I have to say they look beautiful, so delicate. 

While weeding beneath the rose bush I noticed next springs bulbs already peeking through. It was a great reminder how next seasons blooms are already hard at work beneath the soil.


Noticing all this nature in my garden led me to ponder on seasons in life. Life is never still, it's always changing and nothing stays forever. A good thing to remember when you are in the midst of life's trials, tribulations and good times. And if it is a trial that you are facing right now - well, there's always hope of new life filled with flowers after the cold darkness of winter passes :)



Blessings in Christ to all of you this October weekend. And don't forget that if you live in the UK our clocks go back this weekend :)

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures! Hope you're feeling better soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A day in the garden is great therapy! It looks like you are going to have a lot of satisfaction from this one as the seasons turn.
    If you still have leaves to fall, you can stretch a length of garden netting over the pond, just for the few weeks that the most leaves fall, to catch them and save you dredging the water. Remove it afterwards of course. Glad the beech nuts helped you tree ID :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful garden, amazing what a spot of gardening can do for body and soul. Hope you are feeling better soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful garden! I bet you're excited to discover what's in store for you in all seasons! Isn't it awesome to discover a garden planted by someone else?
    Take care, and drink plenty of fluids.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos do this transitional season such justice.As hard as it is toletgo,I am already planning ahead,as I am sure you are. The garden will rest while we prepare:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear you're feeling some better, Shirley. What a pretty garden you have with a very nice variety of trees, vines, and flowers. Your black cat is gorgeous, too. :) I like your analogy about changing seasons and the changes in our lives. Have a great weekend!

    Blessings to you,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate each and every one left for me.