Friday, June 29, 2012

Vocabulary in KONOS


Vocabulary has been something that I have always glossed over, not for any reason other than I honestly didn't know what to do with all those lists of words at the beginning of each unit! I even posted on the KONOS yahoo group asking for ideas on how to use them and got nothing! I think that this is the ONE disadvantage of not being a 'qualified' teacher. However, the breakthrough came with Homeschool Mentor ;o)

After having taken on the teaching tip from Jessica regarding vocab, I can't believe that I have not utilized this valuable resource in all the years we have been using KONOS! It has added a whole new dimension to our learning. And here I was actually considering buying each of my girls a separate spelling program - no need!

I'm going to share with you how we have used the vocab list in our daily learning, bear in mind it is early days and according to Jessica, there are as many ways to use vocabulary words as there are words ;o) - not quite, but I'm sure you get the idea :o) This particular list comes from Week 1 of the Attentiveness Unit.

I started off assigning all the vocab words to a specific day. The words in colour are assigned as spelling words. These words need to be memorized and a test will be given on Friday. The other words I write up on the board and we go over them and what they mean before the girls copy them down on their weekly vocab cards. {These are simple brightly coloured index cards. Each Unit gets a card and all the words on the list gets copied down onto these cards. This makes it easy for them just take their cards up to their rooms to study as well as for revision later on in the term}.

attentiveness            hearing                    wax
attention                  auditory canal          hearing aid
distraction               anvil                        audiogram
notice                     cochlea                   deaf
observe                  eardrum                  deaf mute
ignore                     eustacian tube         ear trumpet
watchful                  auricle                    nerve deafness
alert                        hammer                 conductive deafness
observant               stirrup                    audible
courteous               vibration                 inaudible
aware                    ear lobe
unaware                 pitch
scrutinize               auditory nerve
focus                     semicircular canal

In future my eldest will be expected to learn all the words for the test. She really did not find it hard and breezed through the list. She will also be required to learn the roots etc...
As my youngest (who really has struggled with reading and learning) grows in confidence, her list will increase too.

Positives on using the vocabulary lists:

Firstly, the discipline. I have realized that by not expecting my children to really learn and study things, that they   have no clue as to their own ability. At first my youngest balked against learning her words. It was a really battle the first day. She would disappear for 1 minute and come back saying that she 'knew' all her words. Upon testing it was clear that she did not. Back she was sent. Eventually when she began getting the spelling right, I literally say her face light up with accomplishment. She was thrilled with herself. 2nd day and since then, we have had no trouble in asking her to go and study - multiplication tables included! The penny has dropped - hard work = accomplishment. Personally I have realized that I have not done my children any favors by not testing. They need to know that if they work hard they are rewarded. I am encouraged through this experience to stretch my children in other areas.

Increased vocabulary {obviously}, but it really is important! by increasing vocabulary you are raising the standards of your children. Well-educated people have an extensive vocabulary and are thought of as 'more intelligent'. Unfortunately the truth of the matter is that in this world, people make assumptions on a persons ability, class, education, intelligence etc on many things. The ability to communicate using a wide vocabulary is one of those things!

Increased understanding. By going over the days vocabulary words BEFORE we read, the children have a better understanding of the subject matter that they learn. For example, we covered all the vocabulary words that were associated with the physical anatomy of the ear before reading about how the ear works in Blood and Guts. They girls understood the reading better because they had been introduced to unfamiliar words beforehand.

Effective Speaking and Writing. Having a good range of vocabulary enables you to get your message across more effectively. Having a good range of vocabulary adds richness to your speech and writing.

So don't skip over all those vocabulary words! They have immense value to your children's education!

2 comments:

  1. So any Ideas for a kindergartner and the vocab? I agree they're important! I can't just send her on her own with them. I had thought about having her copy them, read them, and perhaps to a "match the word to the deff" where she'll draw a line from the word to the deff. (I think I could make that pretty quick on Excel) and just print them out.).
    How much time did you spend on vocab every day?
    Thanks! Wish there were more people doing Konos! I know its not fancy but so far I am thrilled with the curriculum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda,

      I wouldn't get her to copy them, rather chose a few words a day and perhaps make flashcards from them. You could pull out a word and discuss what it means with her then perhaps ask her to use it in a sentence. This way she will get an understanding of how to use the word. Add 3 new words a day and then spend some time on Friday reviewing the words perhaps. The main goal is to familiarize the child with new words and their meanings and thereby extending their vocabulary. Might be fun to use the words in a family game to make it fun. Could do simple dictionary or charades? I think if you do it this way you could spend about 10 to 15 minutes on the vocab bit.

      We loved using KONOS - we still look back on our KONOS days with such fond memories. I know not many people use it now but for us we found building character and a love for learning more valuable than strict academics. That time really does come far too soon. My girls are 15 and 17 now and it's mostly academics. They do enjoy it I have to say but I firmly believe it's because a love of learning was instilled in them through using KONOS in our younger years.

      All the best.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate each and every one left for me.